The Management, School of Postgraduate Studies, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, wishes to inform the General public that it has open its portal for the sales of postgraduate form for the 2019/2020 session.
ABU Postgraduate Application Closing Date
The sales of form will last from 19th August, 2019 to 19th October, 2019
ABU Postgraduate Programmes
We offer postgraduate programmes at PGD, Masters, M.Phil and PhD levels. You may wish to take a look at all our available postgraduate programmes here.
- An applicant for Postgraduate studies must have met the normal undergraduate requirements of at least five relevant O’ level credits or a combination of relevant O’ level credits and A ‘level qualifications (in a maximum of 2 sittings) such as IJMB, HND, HSC, NCE, etc. In all cases these must include a credit in O’ level English Language and Mathematics (where required).
- A holder of HND (minimum of an Upper Credit) or equivalent is ordinarily not qualified for Masters Admission except where he/she has acquired an additional qualification such as a PGD in the same or related field whereby he/she may be admitted.
- Applicants with 3rd class Degrees can, in some cases, be admitted, provided they possess additional relevant qualifications such as a PGD and/or post-graduation work experience (at least 5 years) acceptable to the University.
- Holders of Pass Degree or HND (lower than an Upper Credit) are not eligible for postgraduate studies in ABU.
- PhD applicants must hold a Master degree with a research thesis component (not project). Candidates with a CGPA score of less than 3.5 are not eligible for PhD admission.
- Where a PhD applicant is judged to be deficient, has a professional Master’s degree or Masters without a Thesis component, he/she maybe considered for an M.Phil.
- Applicants who earn a minimum CGPA of a 3.5 at the end of the M.Phil. programme shall be upgraded to proceed with the relevant PhD study.
- Applicants for PhD programmes are expected to liaise with the relevant departments/programmes prior to selection of their proposed research areas to ascertain the department’s capability to host their proposed study.
- Where a Master or PhD student is unable to complete his/her study within the stipulated time, such a student shall be awarded the relevant PGD or M.Phil. respectively (where applicable).
Additional Entry Requirements for Foreign Candidates
All foreign candidates must satisfy the following requirements, aside the normal entry requirements for every programme, before they can proceed with their studies in the University if offered admission:
Possession of the following documents:
- Admission Letter
- International Passport or ECOWAS Travel Certificate
- Valid VISA/STR (Subject to Regularization)
- Residence Permit
Failure to secure such documents will lead to suspension of all academic activities
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are required to go to https://spgs.abu.edu.ng/forms/ to create an account to obtain a unique Transaction ID which you will use to pay for your application form.
All PG application forms cost =N=10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Naira) only. However, the banks will also charge a token administrative fee in addition to the cost of application forms.
Some Programmes REQUIRE candidates to write Entrance Examinations. The dates, venues and times of the examinations shall be communicated in due course.